Our SEND Local Offer

Our SENDCo is Mrs Sarah Laurance and she can be contacted on 01323 502525

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

All children in school are assessed and tracked against age related expectations to monitor their progress throughout the year. Pupil progress meetings are held at least three times a year to be discussed with the senior management team and decide on the appropriate provision. Individual children’s needs will be discussed with parents as and when they arise.

Children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and additional needs will be provided with the necessary support and resources based on their individual requirements.

If your child has additional needs you will be able to discuss the issues with the school’s SEND Coordinator (SENDCo) / Inclusion Manager immediately. You may already have involvement and assessments from other services, which you will be able to share with the school to help them make provision for your child. For  example, your child may have involvement from the Early Years’ Teaching and Support Service; there may be reports from a paediatrician or speech therapist.  These will inform the school of the type and level of need your child may have, and even offer programmes of work to support them.  If your child has no previous involvement with external services and there are no initial reports to identify need, the school will allow a ‘settling in period’ and monitor children, making regular and continual assessments of their behaviour and progress.  These, along with more formal assessments, willbuild a picture of their needs and help us to select the necessary external advice and support. Support and advice will be sought in partnership with parents, and reviewed regularly.

Those children starting school with an identified specific or severe need will be planned for in advance to ensure a smooth transition.

How will school staff support my child personally?

All children’s needs are best met by high quality, personalised teaching that promotes independence, but takes account of the needs of each child, with in-built support and challenge; this includes providing a dyslexia friendly environment, specific  interventions, support from trained teaching assistants and a range of specific                  resources to target individual needs. The SENDCo / Inclusion Manager, in partnership with the class teacher and external services, may oversee and plan the education  programme needed for individual children; where necessary, parents / carers will be informed of and give their consent for other professionals to work with their children.

Specialists from a range of support services might be working with a child on a regular basis over a set period of time (e.g. weekly for 1 term). Their role will be clarified and explained by the SENDCo / Inclusion Manager to parents. The school governors will be informed of the on-going work of the SENDCo / Inclusion Manager and the provision in school; it will be their job to ensure that effective provision is available.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s/young person’s needs?

Teacher assessment and formal tests will be used to assess how well any child is           progressing, and make adaptations to teaching and learning where necessary.  All teachers will differentiate work within their classes and assess progress continually. Differentiation means that lessons are planned to take account of different learning styles. If a child is not coping at the level expected, flexible planning and provision will be used to tailor lessons to suit your child with the aim of the fullest integration possible.  Gaps in learning or difficulties with specific concepts will be addressed through a range of interventions and support, from review and reinforcement within the lesson to 1:1  tutoring.  Children are encouraged to take an active role in planning their learning and identifying the next steps to make progress. All children have access to challenge activities to extend their learning.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

CLASS: offers specialist support for children attending mainstream schools. This is where we refer children who need outreach support for autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

Education Support, Behavioural and Attendance Service (ESBAS): this service helps schools to develop effective behavioural and therapeutic supportfor vulnerable pupils (refer via educational psychologist).  Referrals are for children in KS1.

Social worker and Family Support team: lead professionals in all cases where a child protection plan is in required. The social work team intervene to support families where children are at risk of neglect or abuse of a physical, emotional or sexual nature.  Referrals may be made for support or to investigate risk of harm.

 The Early Years’ Teaching and Support Service:  support children aged 0-5 years with disabilities and complex needs. They can offer support at the child’s home, pre-school and through the early days at school. They also have information on local parent and toddler sessions and training for parents and professionals working with young children.

Educational psychology: children and young people can sometimes face learning, social and emotional problems and educational psychologists are there to help.  They can help children to overcome difficulties that may be preventing them from learning to the best of their ability.

English as an additional language: the Traveller and English as an Additional Language Service (TEALS) provides language support for pupils whose first language is not English.

FLESS support: the Flexible Learning Educational Support Service is a team of teachers and teaching assistants who can support your school in providing education for sick children. FLESS offers the following support in partnership with schools:

  • attendance at all personal education plan (PEP) meetings in schools to make arrangements for sick children;
  • teaching  and support for sick children in small groups at locations around the county or at home;
  • teaching and support in the children’s wards at Eastbourne General Hospital and the Conquest Hospital;
  • online learning.

Teaching assistants from FLESS also provide initial help in reintegrating children back into school after periods of absence due to ill health.

Language and learning support: the Language and Learning Support Services (LLSS) offer specialist support for pupils with language, communication and literacy difficulties. LLSS have teachers accredited to identify and support dyslexic pupils.

 Mental Health: the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) can offer the following support to parents, carers, children’s services professionals, and young people with severe mental health disorders:

  • advice on appropriate support;
  • diagnosis of mental disorders;
  • therapeutic work with young people to treat their complex, severe or persistent mental health difficulties.

CAMHS will diagnose attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) amongst other mental health conditions.

Paediatrician: the paediatrician works in the child development clinic and is hospital based (referrals via school nurse). S/he is qualified doctor who specialises in children’s health.  The paediatrician will diagnose autism

Family Support Keywork team: the FSKT team are employed by schools to provide a link between home and family. They may work individually with a child as well as her / his parents / carersand try to identify the on-going support that might help children and families to cope better with a range of situations, from housing to diet and behaviour at home. FSKT might also run nurture groups in school.

Therapy service for children and young people: a new integrated therapy service is available to children and young people aged 0-19 years. The Children’s Integrated Therapy Service (CITS) brings together therapists from the National Health Service and East Sussex County Council. The service provides:

  • speech and language therapy
  • occupational therapy
  • physiotherapy.

Visual and hearing impairments: guidance for schools on supporting children with visual and hearing impairments is available to download below. If you need further guidance or have any questions about additional support please contact the Service for Children with Sensory Needs.

How will you prepare and support my child/young person to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

There are well structured transition arrangements within and between phases and these are tailored to suit individual needs. SEND children entering the Foundation Stage will be supported from their nursery setting by the Early Years’ Service. Children are invited to visit the school whilst still in their nursery, to familiarise themselves with the adults in the environment. Home visits are an essential part in developing positive relationships between home and school. All children are inducted into the Foundation Stage, when they will work in smaller groups to get to know their new teacher and the school. Within school, children are moved from year group to year group following ‘move up visits’ and ‘meet the teacher’ sessions are arranged for parents / carers.  The school works with eachsecondary school to plan a series of transition sessions, with additional provision for SEND/ additional needs / vulnerable pupils.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s/young people’s special educational needs?

The school has an overall budget for SEND and additional needs. The budget is allocated to meet the range of needs represented within the school and funding may provide staffing, resources, specialist equipment and outside agency services so that children have a good level of adult support and intervention and are able to reach their full potential.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

Some children may enter school with an identified special need from the pre-school setting. The SENDCo / Inclusion Manager and the class teacher will use the information transferred through early year’s services or other outside services to identify appropriate support.

Other children with SEND / additional needs will be identified as early as possible through parent / carer’s concerns, baseline assessments, the use of ‘Pre key stage’, national curriculum assessments (SAT’s), reading and spelling tests, and on-going records and reports. Once the area of need has been identified and resources will be allocated.

When a class teacher or the SENDCo / Inclusion Manager identifies a child with special educational needs the class teacher will provide interventions that are additional to and different from those provided as part of the school’s usual differentiated curriculum. Support will be provided for those children who, despite receiving differentiated learning opportunities:

  • make little or no progress even when teaching approaches are targeted particularly at a child’s identified area of weakness;
  • show signs of difficulty in developing literacy or mathematics skills which result in poor attainment in some curriculum areas;
  • present persistent emotional or behavioural difficulties which are not helped by the behaviour management techniques usually employed by the school;
  • have sensory or physical problems and continue to make little or no progress despite the provision of specialist equipment;
  • have communication and / or interaction difficulties and continue to make little or no progress, despite the provision of a differentiated curriculum.

At this stage, outside services may have been working with the children concerned, or may be contacted by the SENDCo and Inclusion Manager with the parents’ /carers’ agreement. A referral should be made linked to the area of need. This could possibly be a FRONT door referral for CLASS or LLSS. Should a service not accept a referral, the SENDCo / Inclusion Manager will support colleagues in their provision and further assessment and monitoring.

Action taken at this stage may include:

  • different learning materials or special equipment;
  • some group or individual support;
  • extra adult time to devise the nature of planned intervention and to monitor its effectiveness;
  • staff development and training to introduce more effective strategies;
  • access to Local Education Authority (LEA) support services for advice.

Further support from external services will be requested if children:

  • continue to make little or no progress in specific areas over a long period;
  • continue to work at a national curriculum level substantially below that expected of children of a similar age;
  • continue to have difficulty in developing literacy and mathematics skills;
  • have emotional or behavioural difficulties which substantially interfere with their learning or that of the class group, despite having an individualised behaviour management programme;
  • have sensory or physical needs and require additional specialist equipment or regular advice or visits by a specialist service;
  • have on-going communication or interaction difficulties that impede the development of social relationships and cause substantial barriers to learning.

External services will usually see the child so that they can advise teachers about appropriate provision and targets and accompanying strategies, provide more specialist assessments, give advice on new strategies / materials and, in some cases, provide support and direct teaching for particular activities.

The school may work with the family to provide a plan to meet your child’s needs.

High level needs pupils

If your child needs a high level of provision and support, the LEA will require information in the form of documentary evidence of action taken to support the child and reports regarding progress. This would include an Additional Needs Plan (ANP)

The LEA will consider the submissions from the school, the parents / carers and other relevant services and decide on whether it is necessary to make an additional contribution to support child’s needs. This contribution will only be for a high level of specialist provision.

How are parents/ carers involved in the school? How can I be involved?

The school encourages parents and carers to be as involved as possible in their children’s progress, opportunities include:

  • becoming involved with the parents’ and friends’ association;
  • participating in school events (sports days, fetes, trips, discos, clubs);
  • becoming involved with curriculum support (parents’ and carers’ evenings, curriculum meetings, helping with reading in school, homework, daily home reading);
  • ensuring good home-school communication (attending meetings, phone calls, texts, emails, home-school books);
  • helping in school;
  • participating in training;
  • completing school surveys and responding to letters to enable the school to take your views into consideration.

Who can I contact for further information?

If you are considering whether your child should join us, please contact the school office to find out about open days and visiting arrangements. Once your child has joined the school, your child’s class teacher will be your first point of contact. Should you need to meet for a more detailed discussion relating to SEND and additional needs, the school’s SENDCo / Inclusion Manager will be involved.  The SENDCo / Inclusion Manager will co-ordinate whole school provision for SEND and appointments can be made via the main school ‘phone number 01323 502525

Parent Link can support you with your concerns or queries and their details are available on the East Sussex County council website.

The Local Authority Offer can be found on the East Sussex County Council website: www.eastsussex.gov.uk/localoffer

This offer is accurate now, but services are regularly reviewed and could change. All information will be updated as soon as possible to reflect any new service offer.

An invite for feedback

This offer is intended to give you clear, accurate and accessible information.

If you would like to comment on the content of the offer, or make suggestions to improve the information, please contact us